Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Dandy Warhols - 'Godless' (Promo) (2001)

I've realised just how many of these posts I'm going to need if I'm to listen to every record/CD I own. I have a lot of singles. I'm a music hoarder and a completest. Some are interesting and have stories. Others, I just have.


Versions:
CD (Promo, 2 Track)
CD (Promo, 4 Track)

Tracklisting:
1. Godless (Album Version)
2. Godless (Massive Attack Mix)
3. Godless (Massive Attack Dub)
4. Godless (Massive Attack Instrumental)

1. Godless (Album Version)
2. Godless (Radio Edit)

Currently listening to: 4-track CD

I have a lot of Dandy Warhols singles. Maybe I should listen to a bunch in one go, and make a blog of that? Meh. I'll work that out later.

'Godless' is one of my all time favourite songs. Ever. I always wanted to get copies of these promos. As you can see from the scans, (because the price tag is permanently attached to the card sleeve CD), it only cost me £1 (and from my beloved Music Exchange, as mentioned in the last blog). The second version I got in a bulk lot of Dandys singles and promos off eBay last year.

I've had mp3's of these remixes for years, but I always like to have a proper, physical version of...well, anything (hence, this blog). As I said, 'Godless' is one of my all time favourite songs. I'd defend it to the death. I fucking love it. These remixes, however, aren't that great. They're not that bad. They're just there. Initially, I was impressed that Massive Attack had remixed them. But, they're not particularly Massive Attack-y (as far as I know, anyway. I'm hardly an expert on Massive Attack). The Dub Version I only like for it's extensive use of the drum sample that serves as an intro to 'Mohammad'. The radio edit of 'Godless' on the second version certainly serves it's purpose. Aside from obvious edits to the intro and outro, I didn't notice any major cuts...but it felt like it was over awfully quick.

The Dandy Warhols have a bunch of interesting promo EPs and singles. Unfortunately, this isn't one of them. It was never a proper single release (Lord knows why. I blame you, Capital Records). The main reason I have two different versions is, aside from my devoted love of the song, I actually really like the artwork. Which makes it more of a shame that it was never a proper single.

No comments:

Post a Comment