Sunday, April 02, 2017

Shakespears Sister - Stay (1992)

Well, hello again, friends! It's been a long time between drinks. Again. I thought another little game of 7" roulette might kick things off then (and hopefully motivate me to blog something meatier in the near future).

So, here we go again!

Shakespears Sister - Stay



Side A:
Stay

Side B:
The Trouble With Andre

This was a funny one to pick. And, had I remembered that I had it, I may have picked it anyway. For some reason, this very weekend, my housemate had this song stuck in his head and kept asking me to play it (from iTunes. I completely forgot I had this single).

I actually had the cassette single of this song when it came out. While I was never compelled, as a child, to buy a Shakespears Sister album, I loved 'You're History' and also fell in love with 'Stay' when it came out. Watching the video on YouTube now brings back memories of many Saturday mornings watching rage and Video Hits.

(Picture stolen from eBay)

I don't have much to say about now, aside from the fact that I'm still quite fond of it. It's actually aged very well. B-Side, 'The Trouble With Andre', I didn't recognise at all until I flipped the single. I must have listened to it when I had the cassette, because it's awfully familiar. And, happily, it's quite good. I am genuinely surprised at how much I've enjoyed both songs. I was also surprised to see that both sides (and the album) were produced by Alan Moulder. Interesting. Maybe it's time I checked out Hormonally Yours? Better late than never, eh?

This single was a purchase from my 7" binge of 2011. After finding several interesting (and sometimes super cheesy) early 90's singles dirt cheap in London, I ended up buying a bunch of them in dirt cheap bundles from eBay. Since I'd very much forgotten this one, I'm quite interested to see what else pops up...

No comments:

Post a Comment