Saturday, June 14, 2014

Ramones - 'End Of The Century' (1980)


Versions:
LP

Tracklisting:

Side One
1. Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio?
2. I'm Affected
3. Danny Says
4. Chinese Rock
5. The Return of Jackie and Judy
6. Let's Go

Side Two
1. Baby, I Love You
2. I Can't Make It on Time
3. This Ain't Havana
4. Rock 'N' Roll High School
5. All the Way
6. High Risk Insurance

Best Tracks:
Do You Remember Rock N Roll Radio?
I'm Affected
Chinese Rock

Currently listening to: LP

I've never been a huge Ramones fan. I've always been a casual fan. I've had Ramones Mania for years, and always enjoyed it. But, I've never been compelled to look much further into the Ramones.

This was one of the first records I ever bought from Clarity Records on my very first visit when they first opened. The other was Iggy Pop's Naughty Little Doggy. I think I played it once before it was absorbed into the library. I haven't played it again until I randomly pulled it out tonight.

I actually don't have a lot to say about it. It's pretty much as I remembered/expected. Although, it is poppier than I remembered. Phil Spector's production generally works fairly well. It's an interesting mix, to say the least. I am quite fond of 'Do You Remember Rock N Roll Radio?'. I'm not as fond of 'Baby, I Love You'. It's a decent cover, but something about it doesn't sit well with me. I really enjoyed the section of 'I'm Affected', 'Danny Says' and 'Chinese Rock'.

I must admit, halfway through Side Two, I've lost interest. Even 'Rock N Roll High School' is a bit too cheesy for me now, though I did love seeing the video on rage back in the day.

End Of The Century is an enjoyable listen. However, it certainly hasn't deepened my interest in the Ramones. I'm still very much a casual fan. Somehow, I've still never heard their first album. Or Rocket To Russia. I'd probably get more out of those ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment